Thursday, November 29, 2012

Write Like It's Your Job: And One Day it Might Be!

via http://weheartit.com/entry/44684484/via/bettiinaa

Every day (yes, really), writers ask me what advice I have for them in either starting their book, or finishing it. I think people want to know the big secret, or the golden ticket to writing a best selling book. Hell, I even searched for the answer for years as I wrote my book. And I finally learned it. Wanna know what it is?

WRITE.

I know, seems obvious, right? (write?) But the more you put off working on that book, the longer it will take to produce, and the longer it will take to get on the virtual shelves of Amazon and every other online retailer you plan on selling it through. And, the longer it will take to become a best seller and hopefully lead to more best sellers and ultimately (hopefully) make you a smashing success! 

Here are some tips to get in the zone and stay on track:

1. Set a regular writing routine. Choose specific days a week you'll write, and set a word count for that day. Tip: the average word count for one page of a book is 250 words. Do the math and figure out what you need to get done according to your timelines.

2. Reward yourself for every milestone. Yes, kind of like a dog getting a treat. It works, trust me. I chose a nice bottle of champagne every time I got 10,000 words done. Pick your poison, baby.

3. Focus on the ultimate goal. Visualize your book being done, the launch party, signing all those lovely copies in your favorite pen.

Wouldn't it be fabulous to make a living off writing?

You know what to do.

xoxo
Cara

Want help? Email Info@PassionistaPublishing.com to learn about our personalized coaching and consulting packages.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cara, now I've read every post on this blog and you've got my attention! You have a great story here! I really love that your self-published book went to #1- that's amazing. We chatted on FB the other day, and I'd like to take you up on your offer to chat. As I mentioned, I have a book offer and just trying to figure out the whole process- it can be pretty daunting, and they sure do take their cut, don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tori! Hi Desha, shoot me an email at Info@PassionistaPublishing.com!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara love the post - so true and it really is THAT easy...just write! xo

    ReplyDelete